The Mendelssohn Choir and Pittsburgh Symphony Receive Two Grammy Nominations!
The Mendelssohn Choir and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra are proud to announce that their new recording of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 was nominated for two Grammy Awards: Best Orchestral Performance: Manfred Honeck, The Mendelssohn Choir and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra; Best Engineered Album, Classical: Mark Donahue, engineer. The performance was recorded LIVE at Heinz Hall in June 2019, and featured the MCP, as well as singers from the Junior Mendelssohn Choir. The recording is part of the Pittsburgh Live! series of multi-channel hybrid SACD released on the FRESH! imprint from Reference Recordings.
“This work cannot be done without outstanding voices, so we are delighted to have fantastic partners on this endeavor—our superb Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh, and the exceptional Christina Landshamer, Jennifer Johnson Cano, Werner Güra, and Shenyang, whose agile voices radiate empathy and hope,” said Honeck.
There is no better way to usher in the return to live performances than this incredible honor. The results will be announced on January 31, 2022.
The 2021 release of Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh can be purchased directly from Reference Recordings, Amazon, or your favorite classical music retailer.
In the press
- Professor Matthew Mehaffey’s Group, The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh, Receives Two GRAMMY Nominations – University of Minnesota, College of Music, 2 December 2021
- The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra has been nominated for two Grammy Awards – Pennsylvania News Today, 24 November 2021
- Has Beethoven been nominated for a 2022 Grammy Award? – HITC.com, 24 November 2021
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra nominated for two Grammy Awards – Pittsburgh City Paper, 23 November 2021
- PSO, Dan + Shay receive Grammy nominations – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 23 November 2021
- The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra earns two Grammy nominations – 90.5 WESA, 23 November 2021
- Pittsburgh Symphony & Mendelssohn Choir earn Grammy nominations – The Beaver County Times, 23 November 2021
- 2022 GRAMMY NOMINATIONS: Full List – Entertainment Tonight, 23 November 2021