As a recipient of funding from the Allegheny Regional Asset District (RAD), the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh is proud to participate in RADical Days Fall 2020! To celebrate RADical Days, please join composer/arranger Steve Hackman and MCP Music Director Matthew Mehaffey on YouTube, Sunday, October 4 at 7:30pm EST where you will have the chance to watch the first ever complete January 2018 premiere of Hackman’s The Times They Are A-Changin’: The Words and Music of Bob Dylan, recorded at Mr. Smalls Theatre, Millvale, PA. The broadcast will also include a discussion between Hackman and MCP Music Director Matt Mehaffey about the work and performance. Experience the performance again, or for the first time! You can watch in this very special, free online event by simply visiting Steve Hackmans’s YouTube channel, and then clicking on the live Music of Bob Dylan video.
Voted as the number one choral favorite by Classical WQED-FM 89.3 audiences in June, this was a ground-breaking work, melding Bob Dylan’s iconic melodies and poetry with Hackman’s innovative choral arrangements. Since the 2018 premiere, Hackman has gone on to perform the work with esteemed choruses around the country, including the Nashville Symphony Chorus, New York City’s Baldwin Festival Chorus, and others.
RADical Days is an annual THANK YOU to Allegheny County taxpayers with free events, programming, and activities at our regional assets. As with everything in 2020, this year’s RADical Days is a little different, with a mix of virtual and in-person opportunities all throughout the fall. Visit radworkshere.org for details!
Read what the critics had to say about our January 2018 performance:
- The Times They Are A-Changin’ – Lance Jones, 11 February 2018
- The music of Bob Dylan, served with a classical twist – The Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle, 31 January 2018
- Concert review: Mendelssohn Choir premieres Bob Dylan oratorio – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 26 January 2018
- Mendelssohn Choir Rocks Bob Dylan with Steve Hackman at the Helm – Wavy Alabaster, 26 January 2018
- The world premiere of Steve Hackman’s The Times They Are A-Changin’ | performed by the Mendelssohn Choir this week – Pittsburgh City Paper, 24 January 2018
- Mendelssohn Choir sings the music of the legendary Bob Dylan – PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW, 23 January 2018
- Mendelssohn Choir is ready to get tangled up in Dylan – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 23 January 2018
- Mendelssohn does Dylan in Millvale – The Beaver County Times, 17 January 2018
- Mendelssohn Choir takes on music of Bob Dylan – The Almanac, 12 January 2018
- Aspinwall’s Peter King will sing Bob Dylan covers at Mr. Smalls with Mendelssohn Choir – PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW, 10 January 2018