Singer Auditions for 2019 – 2020
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh is the chorus of choice of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and as such we hold ourselves to the highest musical standards. All members are expected to be able to read music and sing expressively, in tune, and with a tone quality appropriate to classical choral music. If you are an experienced choral singer we encourage you to audition!
There are two categories of membership, Volunteer and Professional Core. All members are expected to prepare their music before each rehearsal. Members of the Mendelssohn Choir are expected to sing the full complement of concerts in any given season. A full list of concerts for the upcoming season will be available at your audition appointment.
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh will hold volunteer and professional core auditions on June 8, 2019 (Heinz Hall) and August 23, 2019 (Westminster Presbyterian Church). Professional core auditions also will be scheduled during April, May, and June 2019. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring your music in a book or a three-ring binder. NO LOOSE SHEETS!
Please review the audition criteria below, and contact Chorus Manager MaryColleen Seip via E-mail (email@example.com) or by phone (724-263-5259) to set up an appointment.
- One song or aria – must be in foreign language (please limit to under 5 minutes – may do an excerpt of larger piece.
- Sing prepared excerpts (Click for MCP 2019-2020 Audition Excerpts)
- Singer will be graded on overall preparedness of notes and rhythms and quality of voice.
- Special attention will be paid to the singer’s accurate performance of the edited markings that have been added to the score.
Core and Volunteer Singers:
- perform a short sight reading excerpt.
All Singers will be asked to do the following exercises:
|(Do-Mi-Sol-Mi-Do) singer chooses vowel
|Altos and Basses will be asked to demonstrate lower register
(Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do) singer chooses vowel.
|Singer holds one note (listed below) for as long as possible
|Pitch recall exercise
For a few words of wisdom on being a Mendelsinger, and auditioning to be a Mendelsinger, watch our late Director Emeritus Robert Page talk about choral singing.