Singer Auditions for 2022-2023
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh is the chorus of choice of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and as such we hold ourselves to the highest musical standards. All members are expected to be able to read music and sing expressively, in tune, and with a tone quality appropriate to choral music. If you are a choral singer we encourage you to audition!
There are two categories of membership, Volunteer and Professional Core. All members are expected to prepare their music before each rehearsal. Members of the Mendelssohn Choir are encouraged to sing the full complement of concerts in any given season. A listing of concerts for the upcoming season will be available at your audition appointment.
Please review the audition criteria below, and contact Chorus Manager MaryColleen Seip via E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (724-263-5259) if you have any questions.
Note: For the 2022-23 season, The Mendelssohn Choir requires all singers and staff to be vaccinated. You will be asked to present proof of vaccination via photo or scan should you be accepted into the choir.
Audition Requirements and Process:
1. Auditions will be in person – June 11, 2022 at Heinz Hall. Please contact MaryColleen Seip (email@example.com OR call 724-263-5259) to schedule a time.
2. An accompanist will be provided.
3. Please fill out the audition form.
4. Please prepare a solo (4 minutes or less) and have a copy (preferably in a 3-ring binder) for the accompanist.
5. Prepare the audition excerpt which will be sung a cappella (follow all articulation and dynamics and use the syllables for the text)
6. Vocalize to the extremes of your vocal range.
For a few words of wisdom on being a Mendelsinger, and auditioning to be a Mendelsinger, watch our late Director Emeritus Robert Page speak about choral singing.