Singer Auditions for 2021-2022
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh is the chorus of choice of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and as such we hold ourselves to the highest musical standards. All members are expected to be able to read music and sing expressively, in tune, and with a tone quality appropriate to choral music. If you are a choral singer we encourage you to audition!
There are two categories of membership, Volunteer and Professional Core. All members are expected to prepare their music before each rehearsal. Members of the Mendelssohn Choir are encouraged to sing the full complement of concerts in any given season. A listing of concerts for the upcoming season will be available at your audition appointment.
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh is currently accepting virtual auditions for the 2021/22 season. Auditions will be accepted until October 1, 2021 In-person auditions may resume in the fall, TBD.
Please review the audition criteria below, and contact Chorus Manager MaryColleen Seip via E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (724-263-5259) if you have any questions.
Note: For the 2021/22 season, The Mendelssohn Choir requires all singers and staff to be vaccinated. You will be asked to present proof of vaccination via photo or scan should you be accepted into the choir.
Audition Requirements and Process:
- Film yourself performing the following: One song or aria limited to under 5 minutes. You may choose an excerpt of a larger piece.
- Singing should be accompanied; you may use a live accompanist or a recorded track.
- Film yourself performing these audition excerpts.
- Please carefully read the instructions and sing all versions as requested.
- Upload your audition video to YouTube as an unlisted file. (If you are unsure about how to do this, please click this link for directions.)
- Fill out the Online Audition Form.
- Within the audition form, copy and paste the link to your submission into the question titled “Paste your audition video here.”
For a few words of wisdom on being a Mendelsinger, and auditioning to be a Mendelsinger, watch our late Director Emeritus Robert Page speak about choral singing.